The Werner Group of Companies, consisting of Springbok Broom & Brush, Transvaal Brush Company & Werner Brushware, offers a comprehensive range of brooms & brushes manufactured specifically to clean hygienically sensitive areas in food preparation, dairies, catering concerns and hospitals.
The range is manufactured in South Africa and takes into account the harsh conditions our markets are working in. These products have been constructed to comply with the existing EU Hygiene Charter (see below), as there is no formalized South African charter on hygiene Brushware.
Werner brushes give peace of mind to managers and users when cleaning hygienically sensitive areas, because they are reliable, easy to clean and strong enough to repeatedly endure South Africa’s testing industrial environment. The brush components are resistant to the solvents, chemicals and high temperatures required for disinfection.
The range is available in six colours to reduce the chances of cross contamination and forms part of the implementation of HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point) systems. Color coding significantly reduces the chance of cross contamination. The criteria on Brushware to implement with the HACCP system are as follows:
- Physical hazards – no lose parts (nuts, bolts, screws, lose bristle) to be used, wooden brooms can splinter and can cause a risk.
- Chemical hazards – no chlorine based products to be used – PVC handles or backs, no wooden products to be used, no use of carbon steel products that could rust. No chlorine based paint on products to be used. Bristle not is chlorine based.
- Biological hazards – no products to be used that to cause the risk of living organisms to mutate or grow in product.
- Cross contamination – Same Brushware not to be used in various areas.
- Handles of broom & brushes – Handles must be manufactured from food grade stainless steel or fiberglass with a topcoat, or aluminum which is either anodized or coated with approved materials. All handle fittings (handgrips and threads) must be made from materials as those defined under “brush components”.
- Brush components - The brush components must be made of materials resistant to solvents, chemical cleaning agents and temperatures required for disinfection. Material being used is polypropylene, poly-ethylene or polyester. Any additives/compounds or colorants must be food grade of a recognized standard.
- Brush filling material fixing – The brush filling material retention must be by means of either wire (which cannot be attacked or made brittle by oxidization) and/or by means of epoxy resin, which is made up of food grade components of a recognized standard, or of fused construction.
The Werner range consists of 2 sizes of brooms(300mm & 450mm), in hard and soft bristle, scrubbing brushes(175mm & 280mm), handle scrubs(short handle, long handle, polypropylene & stainless steel slim line brushes), bottle brushes, and a hygiene strip brush that is unique to our range – ideal for cleaning difficult to reach areas like in-between tiles. A full range of complementary products like mops, trolleys, squeegees and hanging rails are also available.
The company gives full training on our Brushware range and supply of the range is nationally in all areas in South-Africa, Namibia, Botswana and Swaziland.
The Company also has a specialized division, which could manufacture Brushware to the various specific needs of our customers.
Charter for Professional Hygiene Brushware.
The F.E.I.B.P. has responded to a new market requirement by introducing a Charter for Professional Hygiene Brushware. The Charter has been established so as to enable the purchasers of this type of product to be confident that they will be supplied with high quality professional Brushware which comply with all existing hygiene regulations. The customers still have the responsibility of organizing their own hygiene systems, but will be assured that if they purchase professional hygiene Brushware from an F.E.I.B.P. registered manufacturer it will be fit for purpose.
1. Definition for Hygiene Brushware
These are products from the Brushware sector which are intended for use in any food business (which includes preparation, processing, manufacturing, packing, storing, transportation, distribution, handling or offering for sale or supply, see COUNCIL DIRECTIVE 93/43 ECC 14 the June 1993) or other hygienically sensitive areas such as hospitals, etc. The products are characterized by the fact that they are constructed in such a way and of such materials, that they will not, in themselves absorb bacteria or contaminate any food stuffs or sensitive areas during their normal use. The materials should be corrosion proof and non-toxic, and the products should be able to withstand sterilization or disinfection by other processes, including
2. Specifications of brushes handle and squeegees
2.1 Brush Components
The brush components must be made of materials resistant to solvents, chemical cleaning agents and temperatures required for disinfection. The components must not contain Chlorine. Any additives/compounds or colorants must be food grade of a recognized standard, and must not contain lead, mercury or cadmium. No hollow or flagged fibers are to be allowed.
2.2 Brush filling material fixing
The brush filling material retention must be by means of either wire (which cannot be attacked or made brittle by oxidization) and/or by means of epoxy resin, which is made up of food grade components of a recognized standard, or of fused construction.
Handles must be manufactured from food grade stainless steel or fiberglass with a topcoat, or aluminum which is either anodized or coated with approved materials. All handle fittings (handgrips and threads) must be made from materials as those defined under “brush components”.
Squeegees for hygiene areas which use solid rubber or foamed rubber with minimum 95% closed cells in a double up construction, must be designed in such a way, that they can be cleaned, disinfected and inspected.
All marking of the products must be carried out by the best technical and hygienic methods possible, prescribed or not.